9/27/11

Not for the Rack: Bulky Tops


It should go without saying that this style of bulky knit sweater, so prevalent on the runways this season, is not for a Lady of Substantial Means. Trust me, you are not covering anything up, you are adding weight and bulk up top and thus look even more top heavy. Instead, opt for a nice structured jacket: leather or tweed or even plaid. I cannot say enough good things about a structured jacket. Even if you believe you do not have a waist, the structured jacket can give you the illusion of one.


It's not only chunky knits and cables that's bad for the boobs. Sweaters that are too fuzzy and those that have added and unnecessary detailing around the chest area are also bad.


The thing to remember is that all fabrics, not just knits, can add bulk up top if they are cut wrong, layered or draped too thick, or pleated too much.

 1911-1912 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Wiener Werkstätte dress ca. 1917 via The Los Angeles County Museum of Art

Really, best to avoid anything from the 19-teens, if you ask me. Terribly unreliable fashion time period.I shudder to even recall it. And don't get me started on the 1920s . . . but that's a future blog post.


Crepe, crepe is bad. Crepes, on the other hand are very very tasty, and a breakfast skill I have only recently mastered.


 Oh, I am reminded that Los Gatos Cafe's pumpkin chiffon crepes with fresh cranberries are soon to make their fall appearance. I must make a road trip. Oh, dear, derailed, where was I? Oh yes, bulky tops.
 
The modern age of architectural fashion has given us some amazing art, and some lovely looks. I happen to be a big fan of the architectural approach, but mostly they won't work on us more generously endowed ladies.  Sometimes they will work in a jersey, but that's a whole other post. Here's what not to go for . . .

1990s Issey Miyake dress via The Indianapolis Museum of Art

All in all, avoid the bulk up-top. Here we have an example of everything bad in one top, including a sneak peak at my next offender . .  shear.


And now after all that horror, I give you . . . my current items of desire. Far too expensive, but that doesnt' stop me from lusting after them.



And a moment of fashion randomness uncovered while I was investigating Harris Tweed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...