9/8/11

Straw Hats


 Summer is ending, although you'd never know here in Nor Cal. I thought before it came to a close I'd do a little something on straw hats.


I have a number of them of all different kinds. Including a red one I am over-making right now and you will get a DIY blog on eventually. Here is a small sample.


I know, they all seem to fall in the same color pallet, don't they? Huh. Anyway, the up side of straw is that it's cool, the downside is that the can catch and mess up the hair.


So, anyway, in honor of summer I present to you this little retrospective on straw hats. I'll be off the radar, I think, until Monday, so please enjoy.

Vintage straw hats . . .


1760-1770 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; 1910 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

1914-1917 via The Cincinnati Art Museum; 1914-1920 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

1930 cold comfort farm; 1934 tea for two; 1938 hold that kiss

1940 Sally Victor

1950 Lillian Bassman; 1954 Dior; 1954 Otto Lucas straw hat

1955 Christian Dior via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; 1956 Cover

1956 Dior June; 1958 Day


And here are a few retro takes on the subject of straw hats . . .




And some modern street chic takes on straw hats . . .



Just, for heavens sake, please don't wear this?


And now, I must leave you. Have wonderful weekends all, and I hope you are afforded the opportunity to don a straw hat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...