7/15/11

For the Love of Black and White Check

The summation of the following post, Gail = pro black & white check!

Check and gingham often come off as very vintage.


This is my piece, a sheath and matched jacket from Moon Zoom in Santa Cruz, CA. Probably $40. I love it. I've worn it often.


Wearing the suit down in Australia at World Con 2010.

1950s

Alexander McQueen, queen Dita, 1950s dress via Timeless Vixen Vintage

However, it is hard to modernize. I'll probably be taking mine to Germany this October and have to use it for both the event and street wear. I'll parse out the jacket with slacks and a bright top for a mod look, and wear the sheath with opaque tights and chunky shoes. Hope it works.

Peggy in Mad Men

Some more classic vintage check from the 1950s.

Alternatively, one could go for some black & white check accessories.

Houndstooth on Fall 2011 runway, bold windowpane from 1948, & Art deco earrings ca. 1930 via Christie’s

Both from 1958.

Or you could wear is as a foundation garment.


Of course, I like to pair my black & white with red. Because I love red.
And to read with your black & white check?  I suggest Soulstring by Midori Snyder. 
Playing with various fairy tale and Greek mythos this story begins with the classic trope of evil sorcerer father killing the suitors for his daughter's hand. But our young heroine doesn't remain passive for long. We are, instead, taken on a courageous journey with a powerful female protagonist. Soulstring pulled on my heart strings with its sweet hidden love story and an utterly charming conclusion. 
Have a great weekend!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...