7/5/11

Plaid In . . . Summer?

I can't help it, I love plaid. The thing is (and there is always a thing) plaid is so often thought of as a fall or winter fabric. Tweed, definitely, but I believe plaid is more versatile.


However, one of my very favorite plaid pieces is a fish-tail pencil skirt in summer neutrals from BCBG. I got it from an outlet mall for about $30, and unfortunately I have no pictures of how awesome the back fish-tail detail is for Butt Uplift. But it is, trust me. I own another plaid skirt in the same cut in gray tones, but the beauty of this one is that is it a light-weight cotton, almost like khakis.

At Mysterious Galaxy last September for the Blameless tour, with fellow author Cindy Pon, me in the skirt, her in steampunk.

At BaltiCon in May of 2010 with fellow author Brand Gamblin in the skirt with straight hair and no glasses. I know, crazy.

The runways for Winter/Fall 2011 are awash with plaid pencil skirts in retro styles. This is wonderful, but I don't feel compelled to wait until autumn.

From left to right: Blugirl Fall 2011, Vivienne Westwood Red Label, Christian Dior

All I'm saying is that if you hit the thrift stores now, because of the "Plaid is Winter" association you might find a cute little plaid number on sale. And I believe you can make it Summer by pairing it with a white t-shirt or even a tank.


This plaid association wasn't always the case, in the 50's there were plenty of plaid summer suits and skirts.


And you'll have an investment skirt that can transition between seasons. However, if you don't feel up to the full thrust of plaid as a statement piece, how about plaid as an accessory?


I entreat you, however, not to do plaid like this!






My next blog will probably be regarding what to wear to my book launch in San Francisco this Friday. You may well be asked to help me make A Decision! Prepare yourselves, my dear Fashionable Readers, lives could be lost, tea may be necessary.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...