1/24/12

For the Love of a Black Dior Suit

Right photo taken by J. Daniel Sawyer

I love this suit, I found it on Haight Street in San Francisco, and it fits without any adjustments ~ yes even over the Rack! I've had to mend it over the years but it holds rand as one of the very first vintage pieces I ever put into my wardrobe. To this day I am mystified that anyone would get rid of it.

From my very first head shot photo shoot (for Soulless) back in 2008 with Robert Andruszko.

This style came in with the New Look and hung around for years. Mine is a v neck dress with a little jacket that goes over it. I pars out the jacket on occasion.


Of course, the black suit for formal occasions has been around for a very long time, perhaps best attributed to Coco, who popularized the style.

1927 Coco Chanel The Metropolitan Museum of Art

It persisted into the 30s and 40s.

1949 Charles James “Spiral” via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

But in my world, say its hay-day with Dior's New Look in the 1950s.

1950s dress via Timeless Vixen Vintage; 1952 Jean Dessès dress via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; 1959 Dior’s Spring-Summer

I've worn mine for a number of events and often bring it with me if I have the room simply because it makes a good catch all for an unexpected occasion. And, of course, basic black goes with any accessories I might have.

With Myke Cole at World Fantasy; with Blake Charlton at SF in SF; with J. Daniel Sawyer at Balticon.

Balenciaga and Dior

 Prada

 On the street.

One for Alexia . . .

1876-1877  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

And what to rad in your little Dior suit? Children of the Night by Mercedes Lackey.

This is the second in her Diana Tregarde series. Lackey was writing Urban Fantasy before we called it that and this is one of her best. You don't need to read the first one before it. This one introduced Andree, sexy French vampire, one of the first hot vampires to enter modern SF/F literature. The romance between him and Diana (a strong and powerful witch) is adult, complex, and deeply moving. Real romance. I can't recommend this book highly enough.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...