1/10/12

Winter Dreams ~ Cream Capelet


OK, people call this article of clothing by many different names. I call it a capelet. By this I mean it does not have sleeves. A capelet with sleeves is a bolero swing, in my universe.


But is does have a collar and it is cut to hang over the shoulders, otherwise it's more of a stole or a shawl.


And it is made for warmth (at least ostensibly) and not a beeded confection for decoration that ties in front. That is a fichu.


Sometimes, particularly knitted ones, capelets are done as a circle, or part of a circle.


I tend to like the ones that have some kind of shoulder built in, I think it drapes better over the Rack.


I really love the neck warmers, but they aren't capelets, more like excited chokers or collars. I have a beautiful one from Clockwork Couture.

 1900 The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston


I like fuzzy capelets, I think the shorter length lends itself to the added volume. No, it doesn't have to be real fur. Mine happens to be fake. Instead it can be fuzzy knitted angora or made of feathers.

 1890s The Metropolitan Museum of Art


Mine came from H&M some 6 years ago, a present costing round about $15.

I do really love the capelets that look like tiny little capes. But I don't wear my cream one all that often, so I can't justify another investment.




That last is kinda steampunk, ain't it cute? It's a Trina Turk, it's shown up all over the place. Vastly ill-suited to the rack, but adorable. I do think (whether vintage or modern) capelets are best served when they are worn with a dress.

See? Not so much.

It just works more cleanly. There are modern ways to wear a capelet but the piece always adds a retro touch, luckily retro is very in for Spring 2012, as is the ultra romantic look.


I do like the edgy mixing of patterns, kinda fun.

Of course, one of the best ways to wear a capelet is for a winter wedding. Your dress is still on display but some of you is warm.



Here's one you might want to stay away from, Fashionable Reader.


And lastly, here's a collection of capes and capelets for some of my characters.

For Sophronia Temmminnick (the Finishing School series)
1855 The Metropolitan Museum of Art

For Mrs Loontwill in her younger years.
1860 The Metropolitan Museum of Art

For  Mrs Tunstell (nei Ivy Hisselpenny)
1880 The Los Angeles County Museum of Art


For Countess Nadasdy.
 1895 Emile Pingat The Metropolitan Museum of Art

For Prudence. She likes a little sparkle ~ Lord Akeldama's influence.
1897 The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...