1/25/12

Retro Makeup Part I


This is a long blog, Fashionable Reader, so I am breaking it into two. In this first section I'll be covering some retro makeup looks as well as tips and links to great advice. In Part II, I will give to you my own makeup routine and what products I use (not sponsored, I swear).  That should post before the end of the week.


Unlike modern makeup, retro style does not restrict the area of the face to emphasize, think barbie. In other words one can line the eyes, and wear blush, and a dark lip. So long as one takes into account face shape and coloring.


Not that a pail lip and strong eye can't look reto. In fact, if you have very large lips it can look more retro (and less slutty), it is very 1960s.


This look is particularly suited to the peaches and cream complexion, pale blondes, and younger ladies. I however, am none of these things, so I tend to go for something a bit more bold.

Left is the amazing Keiko Lynn.

The best red carpet example of this is Dita Von Tease. And here is a good Dita Von Tease makeup tutorial on youtube. Step by step image capture with product placement, but still good.


Beauty - 1940's to 1970's Makeup bloger Lisa chats with Madeleine Marsh. "Looking at her vintage collection [of makeup] and the history behind it." It's a wonderful and very informative piece.



Above is a range of vintage looks. Note the shift from the 1940's lip (which goes outside the lip-line) and is always matte to the 1950s and 1960s more natural lip color and line. Tread banger brings us a sponsored, but still wonderful, tutorial on how to get Joan Harris's look from Madmen. Video of how things are applied and everything.


And of course there are also manicures to consider.  I never go for anything too fancy, but that's because I change my clothing several time during the course of any event, so a nice neutral champagne color is all I need. A vintage nail is an oval shape (not the square of the modern time) and I'd avoid French because in this day and age it comes off as a little trashy.


There is one lovely alternative, the 1920s style moon manicure. I have yet to find a salon that will do this look, and I'm hunting. I really fail at doing my own nails with any complexity. But the moon manicure temps me.


Lastly here are a couple of retro makeup looks that are modernized slightly for the red carpet.


Next up . . . insights into my own makeup routine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...