10/5/11

Dallas in a Polka Dot Skirt

Polka dots, Fashionable Reader, I love them so! They came into my purview in the 1980s (for which they can not be blamed) and unlike most of the rest of that lamentable style time period, stayed around in affectionate dotty glory. If nothing else, there has at least always been a polka dot dress and a scarf in my wardrobe somewhere.


This a-line Max Studio skirt may be the bestest skirt evah. It's lined, an ideal length, the material is lovely and silky, it has three little buttons on the side, and the pattern is perfect. I bought it years ago from a thrift store and it is responsible for my love affair with the Max Studio brand that has stretched to every part of my wardrobe from rain cape, to cashmere sweater, to trousers, (Although, never shoes, Max Studio shoes are painful!)


For FenCon I paired this skirt with the following . . .

 Grape-like black dot earrings from Target, $5.
 Vintage purse, possibly one of the first pieces I ever owned. I've had it since I was about 8 years old. The clasp works and I love the size and shape, but the stiff handle can make it hard to pack and the zipper for the inside pocket is broken.
 Shiny oxfords from Marshalls. Recent score at $10 on clearance. Love them!
This faux velvet top started life as a kind of 1940s looking dress. I was never wearing it as a dress but I really needed a nice vintage looking black top, so I cut off the skirt and only use the top section. It makes for a cute top, if a little unfinished looking, and, of course it has such a deep V neckline I had to sew that up slightly as well, for Rack reasons.
Ash platform mules. I can't remember where I got them, probably Nordstrom Rack I get most of my shoes there, but they are remarkably comfortable. They are one of my standard summer sandals. And they look cute too!


Now, back to the polka dot skirt. Lots of options with such a skirt.


Mostly I tend to pair it with black.

Street chic; Alessandra Ambrosio Fall 2010

But you don't have to, to make it a bit more funky and modern I might wear this skirt with red, white, shades of cream and gold, or black and brown together.

Street chic dress; pencil h&m skirt-cream + polka dot h&m blouse; street style

A beautiful vintage version . . .

Jacques Faith dress ca. 1953 via The Kyoto Costume Institute

Just whatever you do, don't wear you polka dots this way, please!

Jessica Lowndes in Camilla & Marc; Marc Jacobs sweater 1985 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Finally, a version for Alexia!

1880-1883 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...