2/8/12

The Black Cloche Hat


 I've discussed the cloche hat before, Fashionable Reader. But as the days get gloomier and wetter, I find myself reaching for my black one more frequently. Not only does it protect the hair, it completely covers it when you are having a bad hair day.


Mine is a plain old black one with a little half bow. It's heavy duty felt, and it's modern made. I bought it at Marshalls, I thing, for around $15. I'll often pin an octopus broach to one side to add interest.


Of course the cloche hat became popular in the 1920s and 1930s. Silent movie stars turned it into and iconic piece. Here's a great little post on fashion inspired by Lousie Brooks including the Cloche.



They've become equally iconic, at least in my mind for their presence in a couple wonderful costume dramas.


If you've not seen Cold Comfort Farm or Gosford Park, go see them now! So good.

Fortunate for us the cloche has been showing up all over the runways. So there are lots of good examples of how to wear it for a more modern look. It tend to think it pairs well with a feminine touch ~ a light weight fabric, a flower pattern, pretty bows. But you can wear it with structure, or even a steampunk style.




My only caveat is be careful of black so close to the face, it can age a girl. If you are the type of person who can't have died black hair, because you look sickly or old (or in my case, too much like my mother), you either have to battle the black hat with lots of makeup, or opt for a less harsh color.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...