2/20/12

Ode to a Black A-Line Skirt

Sadly, I have recently had to retire a favorite skirt.


I'm an advocate of the knee length a-line skirt. I think there are very few people upon whom it does not flatter. This one has a slight 1970's look, but I think it might be 1950s or even the 1930s.


It was a gift from a very dear friend. It is wonderfully well made of a thick canvas with a nice waist detail. It sits at the waist quite tight so I can tuck a blouse if I wish. It also has hidden well designed pockets.


I wore it recently in the above outfit for a small event at my old high school. Sadly, the zipper split. I can do many repairs but zippers are beyond me. I'm taking the skirt out to my mother, who is a talented seamstress (not just a tailor, like me) in the hopes she can resurrect it, but I'm afraid it may be done for. So here is my little ode to the perfect a line skirt . . .

The A-line skirt in the 1930s and 1940s.

And here are a few retro takes on this skirt. A nice soft winter version in tea and brown, Queen Dita pairs it with basic white and a red clutch. One of the things I love about this style of skirt, which Dita is demonstrating, is that it goes equally well with flats or pumps. The same can not be said of a pencil skirt, which really must be worn with heels. And lastly a layered 1970s take with printed sweater, wide belt, tights, large felt hat, scarf, and brown boots. I love this look too.

A 1940s, 1950s, and 1970s (Milly Fall RTW 2011 runway) take on the a-line skirt.

And here is a delightfully French chic take on the skirt ~ done very simple with a striped shirt and a small touch of gold or orange.


And here we have a modern take. A couple of red carpet looks (I like Carry's in particular, that pop of blue with the shoe, delightful) and then an edgy goth take with pink, a heavy hardware belt, clunky booties, and a beanie.


Here is a little spread, it shows with a pleated skirt but I think it could do very will with an a-line. It's got that 1970s feel.


And here we have some  a-line options for our Alexia.

1874-1876  Mourning Dress Manchester City Galleries; 1878  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

And here is one for Prudence.


I do have a kind of back up for my lovely a-line skirt, but it's more towards a pencil with kick pleats and is longer than the knee, so I really must wear heels with it. And it's wool, which makes it very warn and means I must protect my skin from the waist band. Ah, fashion crisis. 


Just a reminder: extra images and my thoughts on current street fashion and runways show up between blog posts on Retro Rack's Facebook Page.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...