12/29/11

DIY: Hat Fixes


 I haven't done a DIY post in a while, Fashionable Reader. Partly this is due to the fact that many of my projects got donated or put into storage when I moved (as did my dressmaker's dummy).

 Not my closet, thank goodness!

But I did go into a mending phase recently where I decided some of my vintage hats needed help and repairs, thought you might like to see what I did . . .

Cream hat, 1940s, beret style, felt, repaired & cleaned

Cream felt hat bought at Bon Marche Thrift Store in Sonoma for $15, original state.

Cleaned with lint brush, old netting removed.
Brim stuffed and reenforced with tissue and sew back together.

 All decoration removed.
 Tried it with new netting, didn't like it.
Finished product, added teapot pin.


Navy hat, 1940's beret style, velvet repaired & cleaned

Navy velvet hat bought at Bon Marche Thrift Store in Sonoma for $15, original state.

 Roset detail, cleaned, flattened and sewed down.

Interior stuffed and repaired.

Navy hat, final product. Haven't had a chance to wear it yet, I just don't wear a lot of navy. Soon, I hope.




I do have a blog planned at some point discussing felt hats in general, how to keep and maintain them. I do hope hats are something that interest you, fashionable readers. I certainly adore them. I wear them for most of my events and I wish I wore them more often. 

And as we are on the subject of hats, how about a few for Miss Ivy Hisselpenny? They've been showing up all over the Spring Runways for 2012.


 Badgley Michka S/S NY 2012
Frankie Morello Spring 2012
freepeople Venice Unmasked
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...