12/20/11

What To Do With Vintage Scarves

By request, here's a bit opf a blog on what to do with a vintage scarf. Now, Fashionable Reader, I am not talking the thick wooly knitted scarf. Nor will this post address the large pashmina nor any bigger rectangular shawl.


I'm talking the filmy and silky squares or long snakes of pretty colors and patterns made famous by Hermes.


My personal favorite thing to do with a vintage scarf, is to use it as a hair covering. You'll often see me with a scarf tied like this, or as it's known in the retro community: Rosie the riveter style.


Because that way I can paddle about in the pool or spa without mussing my do. To style this look, I take a relatively large square scarf, the same one I use for packing and wrapping my vintage dresses.  I fold it into a triangle and then tie it upside-down, that is with the tie at the top of my head. Then I bend over and pull the point of the triangle up over the hair, under the knot at the front op of my head, and then tie it into the knot, tucking in the ends. Here's a youtube on how to do it.

Here are some variations using scarves for head decoration with the knot on or near the top of the head.



That last is the ever-lovely Keiko Lynn and she has a blog post on how to tie that style of scarf meets bandana meets headband. If your scarf is a small and narrow one, here are a few other options from the Marc Jacobs Spring 2012 runway show.


Of course, you can also wear the scarf with the knot at the neck ~ Jackie O style.


Or if you have a smaller scarf, a kerchief style can be very cute.


However, the vintage scarf doesn't have to do duty only on ones head. There are many other ways to wear a scarf in both a modern and a retro way. Here on some other options, as we've started with the head, I will move down from there.

There is, of course, the standard neck area but you can add a broach or wear it at a different angle.


But you can also make your scarf into a necklace by tying it in knots, or weaving it through big chain, or hanging a bunch of old rings off of it.


Going with the theme of a scarf repurposed as a new kind of accessory there is the bag option as well.

This is also a good place to keep your scarf if it has gotten to hot to wear it. I like this method when traveling in particular, I always get a cold neck on planes but then it can get quite hot at an airport.

If your scarf is long enough, and thin enough, you could use it as a belt. In fact when I travel with a very restricted luggage limit I usually take a scarf like this because it is so multipurpose.



Like with the necklace, you can also use your skinny scarf as a bracelet or even a watchband.



Perhaps most daring is to try using a match set of scarves, or even a longer one cut in half, on shoes.



Lastly, how about a scarf for Alexia? Scarf on the hat! Oh my goodness, think about it, so many options.

1898-1900 The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...