12/23/11

It's Winter . . . More Tweed!

I love tweed. I love tweed, Fashionable Reader. Rah rah rah, tweed is good!

“Tweed Toga”  Bonnie Cashin, 1942 (Look at the spats!!!)

I've no idea why I love it so. It's scratchy and hot and sometimes smells. It's hell to take care of. It's kind of grandmotherly. But . . .

1950 Whitaker Auctions

It's got that equestrian country-house hunting-party vibe. It's aristocratic feeling. Celebrities love tweed. No they really do. The Queen wears tweed. The Queen probably sleeps in tweed.


In my world it is all about the tweed pencil skirt. I tend to feel it;'s such a slim fabric I ought to opt for a slender silhouette.


If you don't like the pencil, a tweed jacket is great way to integrate the fabric into your wardrobe without too much bulk. A slim single breasted blazer, perhaps?


Wanna rock some uber vintage, tweed jodhpurs are a go! Or a cute tweed vest.


But honestly you don't have to go all out like the retro fashionistas.

Vera Maxwell, 1948 The Metropolitan Museum of Art; Bonnie Cashin, 1963  The Metropolitan Museum of Art; Elsa Schiaparelli, 1947-1949  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

You can accessorize with tweed too, gloves, hats, bags, a touch of tweed, I always feel, is a touch of class.


Tweed tweed tweed! Tweed for me, tweed for you, tweed in green, tweed in blue.

Bonnie Cashin, 1952  The Metropolitan Museum of Art; Marc Jacobs Spring 2012

All we are saying, is give tweed a chance.

OK, now I'm getting punch drunk. I might have got at the mulled wine a little early this year.


Just a few more, I promise.

Tweed formal . . . gown? That's a new one on me. Pun intended.


Or a tweed place setting? (Now I have grand ideas about making tweed stockings. Wouldn't they be tres chic?)






One for Prudence to wear?

1902 The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Wait for it. PPA is coming, I promise.

And now, good night, sweet tweeds.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...