12/5/11

Navy Polka Dot Dress

Polka dots are a big trend for this winter, apparently. I've always loved them. I picked up this lovely knit 1970s piece a year or two ago. I can't remember where or for how much, but it has served me well. For one thing, it packs without wrinkling.

R&K Knitt

I generally don't go for the 1970s (or navy for that matter) but I do love this piece. Polka dots!


Because I have no navy accessories, I generally pair it with white. Although it comes to me now that red might also work, and if miss matched would make for a delightfully modern take.


This look is a classic, navy and white have a very nautical feel. I must say I like that side of this dress almost as much as the polka dots.


Of course, you can get the vintage navy look without having to find a dress that combines the two colors. Simply mixing and matching navy and white has the same effect.


Of course, there are many ways for navy and white polka dots to be made modern.



Paired with tan or brown instead of matched accessories, snakeskin, gold, even a daring counter pattern on shoes will all make them look street chic.


Polka dots are not confined to the 1950s and later for vintage either. Here's one from the turn of the century.


And of course, something for Alexia . . .

1877  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Lastly, what to read in your navy polka dot dress? How about Anne McCaffery's The Coelura.


An oldie but a goodie. This is a novella length book with wonderful pictures included throughout, is a space opera mixed with highly class driven society romance. It's all about fashion, in the end. Which is probably why I love it so.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...