12/19/11

Purple in San Francisco

 My last event of the year was an unexpected (for me, I'd forgotten I said I'd do it) appearance at Writers With Drinks in San Francisco.


Because I'd moved recently most of my vintage dresses had yet to be unpacked so I defaulted to a skirt and top look that I've never worn before.


The top is a vintage 1940's (or possibly early 50s) Fox Original Kansas City. It fits me (only just at the moment) but I can't resist a perfectly tailored button down since they pretty much never fit me in the modern age. Of course, I popped a button during the event (luckily AFTER I'd been on stage). Thank you Rack. That'll teach me not to reenforce my buttons before going out. Not to mention the golden rule, always take safety-pins when wearing vintage.


I also ripped under the arm. Sigh. I might have to come around to the fact that this blouse may be a little too small for me. Curses. I do love the details, though, with a little cross over at the top, and faux belted waist and covered buttons. As you can see I wore it with a cream felt hat, little bow earrings, purple glasses and a green bag. Reminded me of this Joan outfit from madmen.


I also paired it with a leather BCBG skirt. I'm not sure abotu the skirt, it doesn't fit quite right so it may go on the chopping block. In fact the whole outfit might go out to pasture, it's a lot of work.


Well, not the accessories, of course!



Still I have come around to purple. It took me a while. My mother wore a lot of purple in the 80s so I had to get over the association.


This is the tone of purple I prefer, sadly there isn't any in my wardrobe. Should I happen upon some I'll probubly get ride of the more drab tones, I just prefer clearer lighter colors.

Givenchy ensemble ca. 1956 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art


And here's a modern look from the spring runways.


Or if you don't want to commit entirely to purple, you can always wear it as an accent color.


And some for Alexia!

 Charles Fredrick Worth afternoon dress ca. 1872 via the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
1887 via The Indianapolis Museum of Art
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...